Nippy Apple Cheddar Soup
Ontario Apples and Cheddar cheese have always been a perfect match. Here’s a new twist, a steaming bowl of Apple Cheddar Soup, with just a hint of curry, it will surely hit the spot on a cool fall day.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 Ontario Apples, peeled and
chopped, (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 2 Ontario carrots, chopped
- 1 Ontario onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp finely minced ginger
- 1 tsp each of curry
and dry mustard powder
- 2 cups each of chicken broth
and apple cider
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated Ontario Old Cheddar
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add apples, carrots, onions, garlic, ginger, curry and mustard powder.
- Sauté 5 to 7 minutes until onion begins to soften.
- Add broth and apple cider, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 15 to 20 minutes until vegetables are very tender.
- Using a food processor or blender, puree until smooth.
- Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup (50 mL) Cheddar cheese.
Recipe provided by Foodland Ontario