Baked pumpkin custard
Tis the season for all things pumpkin – cookies, pies, muffins, soup, scones, loafs, ice cream.
One of my favourite is pumpkin pie – who can resist a piece of pumpkin pie? But what I noticed is that the hassle of making pastry isn’t worth the effort when all I ever want is the smooth and creamy pumpkin pie filling. So now when I have a hankering for pumpkin pie, I make pumpkin custard instead!
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree (either homemade or canned)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cup evaporated skim milk (one can)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, milk, and eggs. In another bowl, mix together sugar, spices and cornstartch. Once combined, add to pumpkin mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into ¾ cup custard cups and place the cups in a baking pan with water. The water needs to come halfway up the sides of the cup.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cool.